This best-selling guide to the workings of the European Union provides comprehensive coverage of:
* The development of the Union.
* How it works: the institutions, the mechanisms.
* Every area of EU competence from agriculture to workers’ rights
* The effects of the single market and the single currency.
* The prospects for closer political integration.
This Guide to the European Union is well-established as the clearest and most comprehensive guide to how the EU operates. This new edition brings you up to date at a crucial stage following the replacement of the mark, franc, lira, peseta and seven other currencies by the euro and at a time when Britain edges closer to putting euro zone membership to the vote in a referendum.